Outpatients Building, Oxford University
CLICK HERE to view more photographs of this project.
We have successfully completed a number of projects at the Oxford University site. These include the ‘new build’ Maths Institute Building and Earth & Sciences developments.
However, the ‘Outpatients Building’ on the former Radcliffe Infirmary site was a £14.1m redevelopment of the grade II listed building which was originally constructed in 1911. The renovation was undertaken by the University of Oxford in conjunction with the Nuffield Department of Primary Health Care Sciences to host Oxford University’s Medical Sciences Division.
Whilst the building underwent an extensive redesign by NMA (Architects), the main stone building facades and timber roof were maintained, thus necessitating the requirement for subtle steel strengthening operations by Shipley Structures, in close conjunction with other specialist trades, to meet the aesthetic needs of the reconfigured structure.
The key elements of our works on the project included the following:
- The provision of new exposed ‘feature’ roof trusses, which were integrated into slotted openings in the existing timber roof framework on the East and West wings and connected back to the existing building walls. These served two functions:
- Provide primary support to the ageing timber roof structure.
- Support the new suspended mezzanine floor structures to both wings.
- Provide a completely new steel-framed roof structure to the ‘South’ section of the building, which tied into the existing stone façade walls.
- 2no. new ‘floating’ mezzanine floors, as noted above, which were suspended from the new roof trusses using a series of structural hangers and feature tie rod bracings.
- Internal support / strengthening steelwork throughout the height of the existing stone structure, from basement to roof level, to accommodate the increased dead and imposed loads introduced by the new building parameters.
- The building has now been re-named the ‘Radcliffe Primary Care Building’ and is situated on the Oxford University campus on Woodstock Road in the city centre.
- Steel weight – 35 tonnes