NCN Basford Hall Campus
CLICK HERE to view more photographs of this project.
Shipley Structures were delighted to be involved in the main frame design, manufacture and site installation of the steel framed support structures to 2no. New education buildings for New College Nottingham at their Basford Hall campus in Nottingham
The £23m redevelopment scheme provided new ‘state-of-the-art’ teaching facilities through a complete refresh of the site.
The project included:
- Aa new ‘Teaching Building’ which focuses on skills and training in the construction sector;
- A ‘Incubation Centre’ for start-up businesses focused on sustainable construction.
- Both buildings comprised a ‘slim-floor’ steel framed solution with the main floor members being maintained within the depth of the precast concrete floor units. This assisted in restricting the overall height of the structure, whilst maintaining the flexibility to accommodate underdrawn M&E systems without the need for penetrations in the steel frame members.
- Feature ‘raking’ elevations were provided on the new Teaching Block above first floor level, which were created by the use of a cantilevered secondary steel sub-frames and used to support a mixture of masonry, rainscreen, aluminum and rendered clad finishes.
The design, supply, delivery and site installation of all steel frame elements, including the precast concrete floors and stairs, were undertaken by Shipley Structures Ltd.
- Steel weight – 700 tonnes