Skip to content ↓

Charter Place, Uxbridge

CLICK HERE to view more photographs of this project.

The ‘Charter Place’ office building in Uxbridge, originally constructed as a concrete frame in the 1980’s, has been redeveloped and extended by Landid and Brockton Capital by approximately 50% in area to 230,000 sq ft with a series of steel-framed extensions and infill structures.

Shipley Structures were responsible for the connection design, manufacture and site installation of the building extensions, coupled with the associated strengthening operations to the existing concrete frame. These included:

  • The six-storey structural infill of the existing courtyard area( 44m x 33m) to dramatically extend the internal building footprint, with a large span ‘North light’ roof structure over the redefined feature Atrium area.
  • A five-storey high extension to the south elevation (33m x 7m).
  • A three-storey high infill structure to the 2no. existing wings on the North Elevation
  • A six metre high single-storey roof extension to the main footprint of the building, including plant rooms, staircore and liftshaft over-runs.
  • The redevelopment of the existing North and South cores with new access stairways and enhanced liftshafts to satisfy the enlarged working capacity of the building.
  • Remedial / strengthening works to the existing concrete framed structure, in particular to the 4-storey undercroft car parking area.
  • The above works encompassed the use of over 1000 tonnes of hot rolled structural steelwork, utilising a variety of sections from ‘slim floor’ beams, fabricated triangular roof trusses, feature column details and plated column strengthening / bracing frames.

Shipley Structures have established an enviable position in the successful refurbishment and development of existing building structures, of all sizes, throughout the UK.  

  • Steel weight – 1000 tonnes